Thursday 5 January 2012

England: Day Nine

This is Day 9 in a series. You might want to check out the previous day, or start at the introduction.

So, this is the last update. However, it's not the end of my trip. It was supposed to be, but it's not. Right now, I'm stuck in Philadelphia, as opposed to being in Minneapolis. Why is that, you ask? Well, let me tell you.

So this morning I was in London still. We got on the tube to Heathrow, and everything was going fine. We got in the line to return our Oyster cards (that allow you to easily take the tube and buses), and everything was going fine. We were cutting it a little close, but it wasn't too bad. We showed up at our gate, but we weren't able to board until half an hour after we were scheduled to, because the plane hadn't come in yet.

When we did board, we were pushed back on the take off schedule by the ATC, so we were late to get onto the runway. However, when we did finally make it out, everyone on board could definitely smell burning... something. We were pulled back to the terminal for maintenence.

It turned out that an AC unit had overheated, which had caused the smell. By the time that we got finished repairs, refuelling, and were back on the runway to take off, it was 3 hours later than scheduled.

On the flight, I watched several movies: X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Minority Report, and Cowboys and Aliens. Only Minority Report was worth my time.

Oh, in case anybody was interested, the planes that I have flown on over this trip were an Embraer 190, Boeing 767, Boeing 737, and an Airbus A330. Not sure what I'm taking tomorrow. And, sorry to any Boeing fans out there, but I enjoyed the A330 more than the 767. I'm sure that almost all of that is related to the fact that the A330 had personal, on-demand movies, while the 767 had a couple TV's for everyone to watch, so everyone saw the same thing.

So, landing 3 hours later than we should have, we had missed our connecting flight, and were stranded here in Philadelphia.

So, that's where this blog will end. I won't bother posting tomorrow, because I'm not in England anymore. I probably won't update this blog again very soon, and when I do, I'll probably post something boring, like a very unoriginal analysis of Citizen Kane, or something. I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to read this blog. This has been a great experience, both the blog and the trip. But mostly the trip.

Full Series

IntroEngland Trip

No comments:

Post a Comment